(written by Kennedy)
So you’re pregnant, congratulations! Are you one of the lucky women that feel fantastic? Or are you like Elizabeth Banks’ character in “What to Expect When You’re Expecting?” I hope you’re the former, but if not, visit us at Selby Acupuncture for some treatments. Acupuncture provides a safe, non-pharmaceutically based intervention in pregnancy. We all talk about acupuncture promoting balance, harmonizing, and fostering a sense of well-being, but frankly, sometimes a good treatment just takes the edge off of a lousy day. And in pregnancy, when those lousy days can be more frequent than not and cocktails aren’t the best option, put your own endorphins and pain-killers to work.
Schedule an acupuncture treatment if you experience any of the following symptoms.
• Exhaustion and Fatigue — You are “dead to the world” tired. Are you guiltily beating yourself up, debating whether or not to have more coffee?
• Nauseous —Where’s the toilet? Trash can? Can I get there fast enough? I just puked up my Zofran. Total bust.
• Headaches — Is your head pounding? I see so many women in what I refer to as the “headache window” during their pregnancies. In my practice, it typically hits most women around the 13-14 weeks mark. Just when the nausea is passing, and then you get slammed with headaches or migraines. Awesome.
• Constipation, Gassiness, or Bloating — Has it gotten so bad that your partner is sleeping in a separate room? Are you stuffing your face with prunes yet getting nowhere near the bathroom? Sludging down Metamucil, Citrucel, or stool softeners?
• Heartburn — Is your esophagus on fire? Are you slamming tums, prilosec or prevacid for heartburn and still waking in the middle of the night?
• Anxious — Is the monkey-chatter, hamster wheel spinning? Are you a bit anxious? Can’t sleep? It’s 2 am. Is the baby ok? Did the baby just kick or was that gas? If I eat this cheese is the baby going to grow three ears? But I’m so hungry, what should I do? Oh wait, I’m not hungry, I’m going to vomit. I am exactly 10 weeks, 3 days, and 5 hours pregnant. Oh no, I am actually, 10 weeks 3 days, and 6 hours pregnant. How could I have mistaken that? There’s so much to do before the baby comes! What color should the nursery be painted? What if the paint is toxic even though the label says it isn’t? Is this color actually really ugly? The baby is going to hate it. I have to figure out daycare. Or should I just bag my career for a bit? Should my partner bag their career?
While these are all very real concerns, I recommend taking a breath, and then;
Schedule an acupuncture treatment!
In all seriousness though, we at Selby Acupuncture are here to support you through this time of great transition. We believe in you and your innate ability to nourish yourself and your baby, physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. We look forward to working with you.
For those of you wanting a more evidence-based read in how Chinese Medicine can support your pregnancy, you can check out the chapter I co-wrote, “Acupressure and acupuncture in pregnancy and childbirth”, in Supporting a Physiologic Approach to Pregnancy and Birth: A Practical Guide edited by Melissa D. Avery.