Collagen is the most prevalent form of protein found in our bodies. Unlike our ancestors’ diets, most of ours are poor sources of this amazing substance. Collagen helps to form our digestive organs, skin, joints, and other connective tissues. Collagen is also an excellent pre-biotic, meaning it helps provide a matrix for the bacteria in our digestive tract (without the gas and bloating sometimes associated with fiber!). Containing a complete array of essential and non-essential amino acids, collagen is the super-food you have been craving to connect with.
Here is a simple recipe for making your own Collagen Gummies.
- 3/4 cup sugar free tart cherry juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice, strained
- 2 tbsp. raw honey or to taste sugar substitute
- 3 tbsp. Gelatin
- In a saucepan, heat the juices over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Add honey and stir till dissolved. If using a sugar substitute I prefer to add it once I’ve taken the concoction off the burner as sometimes these can turn a bit bitter if heated.
- Lower the heat to the lowest setting. Whisk in 1 tbsp. at a time of the gelatin, adding another only after the others dissolve. Continue to stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved, about 10 mins.
- Once you have no lumps, just liquid, remove from heat.
- Carefully transfer the liquid into your gummy molds using a dropper or syringe. If you don’t have proper molds you can pour into a small baking tray and cut them into cubes once cooled.
- Refrigerate until firm (1-2 hours depending on the size of your gummies)
- Store in or out of the refrigerator. Enjoy!