We’ve all had days when our digestion is a bit off, and dealing with uncomfortable physical symptoms is made worse by fatigue, brain fog and irritability.
Eating foods that support the digestive system and bring balance back to the body is an integral part of Chinese Medicine. Rice congee is a simple soup to keep you nourished while you’re sick or dealing with digestive problems. Adding Huang Qi (Astragalus Root) to your congee will support digestion and boost vital energy to help you feel better faster. You can find Huang Qi (Astragalus Root) in Asian markets or buy it directly from our clinic.
Huang Qi Congee
- 20 g raw Huang Qi
- Organic White Jasmine Rice – 1 cup
- Chicken Broth/Bone Broth – 6 cups
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp organic olive oil
- Add 20 grams of Huang Qi to 4 cups of water and boil for about 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Drain the Huang Qi and set liquid aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart sauce pan on medium heat. Add onion and sweet potato, sauté until softened.
- Add garlic and sauté about a minute more.
- Add rice, Huang Qi-infused water, and broth. Allow to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced to a porridge-like consistency. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Huang Qi supports digestion, boosts energy and immunity, and nourishes blood. Sweet potato promotes gut health and is a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Onion and garlic are nature-made antibiotics and reduce high cholesterol. White rice is easy to digest, supports the stomach, and is a good source of manganese, iron, and B vitamins.
Kathy Schoenberger, L.Ac.