Feeling festive for St Patrick’s day? Are you also feeling a bit unlucky and worried that you don’t have anything green to wear on the big day? Well we have just the thing for you!
Did you know eating green things is not only healthy, but also acceptable instead of actually wearing green on St. Patty’s day? While this might just be a ploy to get our patients to eat more cooked vegetables, we don’t see any harm in beckoning in a bit of extra luck too.
This lucky green soup is super creamy and the cooked greens are easy to digest leaving you nourished and full of charm.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 1 medium russet potato, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 8oz. arugula
- 6oz. spinach
- ½ packed cup of cilantro
- ½ packed cup of parsley
- Optional: plain Greek yogurt
- 2oz. arugula for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium adding garlic and onion. Cook, stirring often, until just tender (about 5 min).
- Add turmeric, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and allspice. Stir frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add potato and choice of stock. Bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add all greens to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Grab your blender. Add soup to the blender in batches (don’t forget to take the center out of the blender lid to allow steam to escape!). Blend till just smooth.
- Your soup is now ready for serving. Just before consuming add a bit of Greek yogurt to the bowl and a garnish of arugula.
Katie Steffensen L.Ac.