Take advantage of the current abundance of greens, whether in your garden or at the farmers market this is the time to enjoy the fresh late summer crops!
- Fresh Basil: Fresh basil brings a major herby flavor to the pesto.
- Parmesan Cheese: Try to use fresh parmesan – avoid the powdered stuff!
- True parmesan (Parmigiano-Reggiano) is not vegetarian as it contains animal rennet but there are vegetarian options available.
- Pine Nuts: Toast pine nuts in a skillet for a few minutes to add a roasted flavor to your pesto.
- Garlic: Be sure to use fresh, blemish-free garlic.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The flavor of the oil is important in pesto, so use the good stuff.
- Salt & Pepper: Finish it off with salt and pepper, to taste!
- 2 ½ cups packed fresh basil
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
The best method is to use a food processor or blender .
- Put all ingredients in the bowl and blitz until it is finely ground.
- With food processor or blender running, slowly pour in the oil until well blended
- Experiment with other leafy greens in place of basil:
- Carrot Tops
- Use other nuts in place of pine nuts
- Add avocado in place of some of the olive oil
- Add roasted pepper for a vibrant color and smokey flavor
- A dash of honey or maple syrup, if your pesto is too sharp