Spring, unfortunately, is not quite here and we find ourselves in soup season yet. However, the desire for fresh greens found in spring is starting to bud among many palates.
Eating seasonally is one of the primary tenets of traditional Chinese dietary practices. Consider this “Rocket Soup” a happy compromise for your Yin, Spleen, and Liver during the transition to Spring. In this recipe you will find all the greens capable of cleansing you after your rich ,perhaps even fatty, Yin tonifying Winter dietary habits. It is light, aromatic, and cleansing. Perfect to stir the emerging Yang of Spring.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2-4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 1 medium russet potato, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 8oz. arugula
- 6oz. spinach
- ½ packed cup of cilantro
- Plain greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium adding garlic and onion. Cook, stirring often, until just tender (about 5 min).
- Continue on medium heat to stir in turmeric, salt and pepper, nutmeg, and allspice. Stir frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add your potato and choice of stock. Bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Save a bit of arugula for garnish. Add all greens to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Grab your blender. Add soup to blender in batches (don’t forget to take the center out of the blender lid to allow steam to escape!). Blend till just smooth.
- Your soup is now ready for serving. Just before consuming add a bit of greek yogurt to the bowl and a garnish of arugula.
(written by Ashley)