A Chili Cook-off Winner! Another winning recipe from Maggie Christopher, holistic nutrition counselor, learn more about her at www.maggiechristopher.com.
Turkey Chipotle Chili – Serves 8
I’ve tried many chili recipes and I landed on this one as my favorite. It’s thick, flavorful and the bottle of gluten-free beer adds a great flavor. If you haven’t had your greens for the day, add some kale or spinach.
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced thin
4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 TBS unrefined olive oil
½ to 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (based on the spice level you prefer)
2 to 3 tsp regular chili powder
2 heaping teaspoons oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 lb ground organic turkey
1 cup of frozen corn
1 28oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 15oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
2 15oz cans of mixed chili beans (use bean liquid if needed for consistency)
1 15oz can refried beans (Amy’s organic with green chilies works well)
1 gluten-free beer (Optional ingredient. Daura is a good brand.)
2 TBS honey
2 TBS red wine vinegar
¼ to ½ cup chopped cilantro
Sea Salt to taste (start with ½ tsp)
- Sauté diced onion and garlic in olive oil in large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano and cumin.
- Cook until the onions are soft and coated in seasonings.
- Brown the ground turkey in another pan and then add to onion mixture.
- Add corn, crushed tomatoes, chili beans, refried beans, beer, carrot, honey, vinegar and sea salt to taste.
- Turn down heat and cook at a low simmer, partially covered, for about 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and add chopped cilantro.