What a beautiful weekend we have just had, and well deserved after that bought of high heat earlier last week. Last week, during our hot spell, I kept coming back to this old recipe that really helps cool you off from the inside out. I know we have posted this before, but it is worth putting up again. Watermelon and cucumber, the main ingredients in this dish, according to Chinese medicine, are very cooling and can help relieve thirst.
Trust me, this dish is delicious! And to prove it, we are offering a free package of our beloved Herbal Soup Mix to the first person who makes this dish and posts a picture to our Facebook or Instagram page. Honestly, it is just that good.
- 8 cups 1/4-inch-diced watermelon
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Mix ingredients in a large bowl. Puree about half of the mixture in a blender or food processor to the desired smoothness. Stir in the remaining diced mixture.
- Chill for at least one hour, to allow flavors to combine, and stir well before serving.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
If you are struggling with the heat and humidity, this soup may just be the trick to help keep you cool. Make some up and let us know what you think.
Julie McCormick LAc